Ever heard stories about people whose water tanks split and collapsed because they failed to prepare their base properly? Imagine how heavy a water tank that is filled to the maximum with water, say 1,000 liters, and if you’re water tank foundation isn’t placed, for instance, on a very solid, even, and leveled surface, it will surely crack and topple over.
The purpose of a water tank foundation is to support the weight of water storage containers while also containing spillage. The tank bottom needs complete support, which can only come from a foundation, so engineers must ensure the water tank foundation design can support the tank and its weight.
So take your time, and ensure that the foundation for your water tank is well-constructed and maintained by specialists. Never settle for low-quality materials or attempt a DIY project if you are inexperienced in this field.
Storage Tank Foundation Inspection and Maintenance
The first phase in any building project is laying the foundation, which is crucial to the building’s stability. It is precisely the same as any other storage tank; the integrity and dependability of the entire tank rest with the foundation.
And so, what can you do to ensure that your tank’s foundation is reliably strong and stable? The answer is quite simple: you must follow regular maintenance and inspections. There are, indeed, countless benefits of regular tank inspections and maintenance on your water tanks! They surely do not miss any of these crucial details:
1. A proper assessment of the tank foundations prevents uneven settlement. Inspections aim to minimize corrosion risks around any part of the foundation-supported tank.
2. Damaged areas can be detected early. Weather changes or extreme seasonal changes significantly affect the tank’s foundation. Regular monitoring helps quick repairs, avoiding more significant issues from occurring.
3. Regular inspection and maintenance comply with the latest federal regulations. Part of their regulations is to check if a qualified cathodic protection tester has tested your system. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, it has to be done within six months of installation and at least every three years.
4. Proper and regular inspection helps develop a pattern. A periodic inspection of the foundation can aid in finding solutions to maintenance issues such as wear and tear, wash-out, settlement, leaks, or other conditions that might have changed.
5. Avoids catastrophic failures. The latest leak detection techniques used by water tank companies minimize catastrophic failures while promoting lower operational costs and extending the life of industrial storage tanks.
How to Choose the Best System for Water Storage Tank Foundation
The tank foundation is the base that supports the weight of the stored water. Therefore, its type, design, and system should accurately coincide with the style and capacity of the water tank.
Furthermore, because the primary goal of a foundation is to offer safety and security for the entire tank, it must be designed and constructed by licensed tank specialists! As a wise owner, take note of these tips:
1. Always choose the best site!
Geologic testing and research are needed to determine the soil’s composition and whether it is prone to seismic activity. The test can establish if the soil includes potentially harmful materials such as peat, soft clay, loose silt, or fine sand. It is also possible to assess whether the site has “leftovers” from former use, such as filled-in basements, underground storage tanks, underground bomb shelters, etc.
2. Piling is an option when soil conditions are deplorable.
If surface reservoir sites are impossible to relocate, pile drilling is the key! It involves drilling holes or driving posts into a concrete, steel, or stone foundation. These underground struts provide additional support to the tank to prevent extreme and uneven settlement.
3. Concrete foundations are built to endure natural phenomena.
Seismic areas or earthquake zones often require concrete footings to help anchor the tank to the foundation to prevent large movements.
4. Always consider the superior tank-type
There are many types of storage tanks out there! But It is no doubt that stainless steel tanks are the most trendy. Aside from being aesthetically pleasing, its durability and service have been proven! It may be a little expensive, but the maintenance cost is way less!
5. Hire the best tank service provider in your area!
Trust the licensed company, engineers, and geoscience experts to get the hard facts on the best foundation for your future storage. Make sure they keep up with innovations, follow the standards, and adhere to local laws.
Is Your Water Tank Foundation In Need of Professional Maintenance?
A solid foundation of your tank manifests that your tank is ready for any circumstances. It should be able to carry the weight and the maximum stored content and must endure the extreme climate and weather.
At American Tanks, we can expertly install, inspect, and maintain your water tank foundation, no matter its size and location. Call us today at +1 800 656 0167 to schedule an appointment or to get a customized quote for your needed services.